Here's 5 great ways to incorporate New York City into your wedding from the reception decorations to the wedding favors you distribute.
1. Start Spreading The News - In typical New York style make sure your wedding announcement, save the dates or invitations are big and bold like the Times Square Ticker. You could send out Broadway style tickets, VIP lanyards, custom made Metro Cards, use upscale linen or handcrafted papers frame like a museum photo, or even craft invites with like Art Deco designs, vintage Grand Central Station or a graffiti mural designed postcard. However you choose to announce it, do it in a grand way.
2. Decorate In Broadway Lights New York City is a city of bright lights and big dreams. If you can't see the skyline from your venue, bring it inside with a removable skyline vinyl wall mural. The use of small twinkling lights or up-lighting around your venue will remind you of the cityscape or the Empire State building. While you may not be able to find skyscrapers to decorate your tables, topiaries remind us of Central Park or the Botanical Gardens. NYC is also glamorous and elegant, so the use of crystals, chandeliers, and candelabras will add a gorgeous touch. Don't be afraid to hop into the city and visit one of the many Times Square souvenir shops for some kitschy and inexpensive "I love NY" decor to add to your theme or re-purpose things such as used Metrocards to use as your place cards. Subway maps or playbills as menu cards add a very NYC touch.
3. A NY Style Catering Menu Some foods are just iconic to New Yorkers! Start your cocktail hour off with mini coney island hot dogs, mini bagels, bite sized pastrami sandwiches, meatball sliders, or sausage and peppers! For starters you could serve Manhattan Clam Chowder or a Waldorf Salad. Main courses could be NY Strip Steaks for the adults and New York Style Pizza for the kids. Don't forget to end the evening with New York Cheesecake, or classic egg creams for dessert.
4. Music To Dance The Night Away To New York has produced some very famous musicians! A quick Wikipedia search will yield you hundreds of names of artists from the Empire State. Think classic artists like Tony Bennett, Barbara Streisand and Billy Joel for romance and modern day singers like Jay Z, Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga to get them moving on the dance floor. While artists like Frank Sinatra weren't technically born in NY (he's from across the river in Hoboken, NJ), he reminds us of New York and would be great to play as well. And remember, NYC is the city that never sleeps so make sure to take the fun of your wedding into the wee morning with an after party!
5. Do Them A Favor Give them something that is so NY themed they can't refuse. Wedding favors such as candied apples reminiscent of the "Big Apple", mini NY cheesecakes, or black and white cookies in "I love NY" bags and you can't go wrong. New York has a diverse food history so give them something they can sink their teeth into.
Of course, we at Little Things Favors are located in New Jersey, 35 miles outside of New York City. We are able to serve all NY, NYC, Long Island and Metro NY brides with their favors, accessories and decoration needs - with very fast service and turnaround time. The majority of our wedding favors ship out of the NYC area and typically take 1 business day in transit when shipping locally! If you are a local bride, don't hesitate to call us if you are working on a tight deadline - we can assist you!